So in my last video I went down to
Woodcraft and they helped me pick out this massive awesome table saw and I’m
so excited to use it on our first project here. You could see the position
of it’s changed a little bit and I think building this out is really gonna help me define
where the table saw is gonna live in our shop. So first thing I did took some measurements of my space and then laid everything out on graph paper.
I like using graph paper because of all the little squares and it helps me keep
everything clear and organized in my head. I selected three quarter inch
Baltic birch for this project. I really need it to be strong and I like how it looks. So let’s get going. I’ve got everything cut to final size and I’m ready for the next step which is dados and rabbets. Now I know I’m over
building this quite a bit and there’s different ways of doing it that are much
easier but I really am doing it for two reasons. One: strength and longevity,
I think these fasteners are going to weigh a ton once they start collecting
things over the years so I want it to last and be strong, but two, and probably a
little more important to me, is the learning experience. I want to get
comfortable doing this figure things out take my time with it enjoy the process. So I’ve got everything here I need, a new insert, break and my dado stack, just
gonna take it slow, see how it goes. Alright check it out. I am really happy
to have this and this is going to make things so much easier for me around the shop.
Just having a place to put things is so important. Couple lessons learned. So I cut these coves out to make it easier to grab the handles on these screw boxes but up here I didn’t need to do that. By the time I realized it it was already glued up and that train had left. These pocket screws, these should have
been on the bottom not on the top so you didn’t see them but I already had my
kicker in place and I couldn’t get my fixture underneath to do that. Both of those problems could have been resolved with the order of operations if I were
to thought things through a little bit better it wouldn’t have been an issue. Overall the biggest problem I had though was with the dados and the rabbets. You’ve got an interior dimension on this shelf, with the dados you have to add
some materials to three sides and that sort of screwed me up a little bit. Now I did have to make some secondary cuts which added to the build time but I
didn’t waste any material so that’s a good thing. I’m gonna be building some
drawers in here next so make sure to hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss that video. All that’s left here is to screw on the top.